14 September 2010

Normandie, Part Cinq

Monday was a rather leisurely day spent on the bus to Chartres.  We got there in the afternoon, so we had plenty of time to walk around before dinner at 8.  Unfortunately, being that it was Monday, not too many of the stores were open, so a few of us ended up finding a café where we ordered drinks and chatted for a bit.  We had a delicious dinner at a restaurant near our hotel, which was conveniently across from a ferris wheel or grande roue, so the whole group took a ride after dinner.  It was so much fun, and we got a great view of the famous Chartres cathedral from above.
Random light show in Chartres

This morning (Tuesday), we got up for our guided tour of the cathedral.  I had been there before, so it was interesting to go back and have it explained more in depth, but the tour was excruciatingly long.  The main rose window at the front was covered in scaffolding and the entire cathedral is undergoing a huge cleaning process, so it was a little disappointing that we couldn’t quite see everything.  I guess I’ll just have to go back in 2015 to see the final restoration. 
Chartres Cathedral

I got back to Dijon around 6:30 tonight, and I’m back with my host family.  I love the group and our little trips, but it’s nice to be able to decompress a little and have a home cooked meal.  We have an intense couple days of class coming up, but we have Friday off, and an entire weekend with no travel.  At one point a couple of the girls and I were planning on going back to Nîmes or going to Paris, but we just decided a chill weekend in Dijon might be better and would save us some money for future travel in October and November.  Some of my host family is heading to their house in Chamonix for the weekend, so I could potentially go with them, too.  For now, I have to get through a lot of reading and a test on Thursday.  Sometimes I forget this is school.
Bonne nuit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment