17 September 2010

C'est ma mere!

Salut from Dijon!  This is the first entire weekend that I'll be spending in my home base.  Seems weird that I've been in France for a month and have hardly gotten to know Dijon, but that's my project for the weekend.
Last night we had a little cocktail party for all the host parents and students and teachers, and I think I had a bonding moment with my French host mom (not that we haven't been getting along great).  I went to introduce her to my professor, and I said, "C'est ma mere!"  Apparently, it's not normal in French to talk about your host family as your "mom" and "dad" and "sister" or "brother," so she and the others standing around thought it was hilarious that I said that, in an endearing way, of course.  Unfortunately we couldn't continue bonding since my host parents headed off to the Alps this weekend, but I'm really enjoying my family here.
After the cocktail, a group of us headed to an Irish pub for a couple of drinks.  We were starving since the unidentifiable French hor d'oeuvres didn't really qualify as dinner, but the bar didn't have food, so Caroline and Stephanie went to McDonald's (aka McDo).  We ate American food in an Irish pub in France, it was great.
Today was a day off from class, so I met some of the other girls in town for lunch at this little cafe.  It was a total gem (or bijou, our favorite French word).  They had great bread, and I had a really good tomato tarte and salad.  I caught up on some errands this afternoon, and now I'm home to shower before going over to Caroline's place for an aperitif and some frat beatz before going out to dinner.
Bon week-end!

No comments:

Post a Comment