20 December 2010

Family Weekend in Paris, Part Deux

Thursday, after another short presentation and my final, I went back to Paris to spend one last full day there with my family.  That night, the hotel had suggested Café de l’Homme for dinner, which looks out on the Eiffel Tower (not to be confused with Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower).  We had a spectacular view for when it started sparkling every hour for 10 minutes.

Friday, we went to another one of my favorite museums, Musée d’Orsay.  I love Monet, Manet, Renoir, Degas, and Sisley, and they can all be found there.  Emily and Laura were entirely thrilled about going to another museum (they had been to the Louvre the day before), so they raced through the exhibits and found a bench to sit and wait for my mom and me.  

We spent the rest of the day shopping in the 7th arrondissement, which might be my favorite neighborhood in Paris.  It’s incredibly quaint and less touristy than the shopping on the Champs-Elysées or around Opéra Garnier.  When I go back to Paris, I would probably want to stay in this area since I’ve seen the majority of the main tourist sites multiple times now.
view from the top
That night we went to a restaurant that served traditional Burgundian food (made me feel like I was at home in Dijon!) and had a delicious last meal in Paris.  The restaurant was in walking distance from the Eiffel Tower, so we walked there after dinner and climbed to the top, as a sort of last hurrah.  It was freezing up top, so we walked around quickly and got on the elevator down as the tower started sparkling.  It was the perfect way to end my last night in Paris.
Place Vendome decorated for Christmas
My mom and sisters left for the airport early Saturday morning, but I slept in and got breakfast at the hotel before I did some last minute shopping and went back to Dijon.  I was welcomed back by more homework, but I had our last group excursion to Strasbourg to look forward to and one week left in France (sad).

No comments:

Post a Comment